Thursday, December 6, 2007

Sad Conversations

Some snippets of my conversations. Might not be the exact wording, but true to the sense of what was said.

First Girl
me: Do you like what you're doing?
her: (thinks, hesitates)... No.
me: Why do you do it then?
her: I need the money.
me: Why's that?
her: I have a kid.
me: what? You mean here?
her: He stays with my parents. I need the money to support him.
me: What about the father?
her: The father is not interested. He doesn't care.
me: He doesn't give you any money?
her: No, he's from Belgium. He won't return any of my emails or phone calls.
me: This is sick! Do you know that Belgium law would require him to pay for his child?
her: No.

Second Girl
me: Do you like your job?
her: (without hesitation) No.
me: How long have you been doing it?
her: For about two years. I ran away from my family.
me: Why's that?
her: They tried to force me to marry a muslim boy. But I didn't like him.
me: And then you ended up here?
her: Yeah, I needed a job.
me: And you go out with guests and sleep with them?
her: Yes.
me: So you didn't like the guy you were supposed to marry and now you sleep with a stranger every night.
her: (remains silent, with a contemplative look on her face)

Third Girl
me: (to a 16 year old looking girl, jokingly) Are you for sale?
her: Yes. (half-jokingly) I'm a virgin. I can come with you.
me: Don't be silly! I could be your father. How old are you?
her: I'm twenty.
me: Don't make me laugh!
(I buy her a fruit juice and we do some small talk)
me: So if I pay the barfine, will you come with me to my room?
her: Sure.
me: And then you'll sleep with me?
her: Yes.
me: And if I want to sleep with you without a condom? Would that be okay for you?
her: If you want me to... yes.
me: This is crazy. You've got all your life before you! You shouldn't throw it away that easily...
her: Most tourists want to use a condom anyway.
me: Why are you doing this?
her: I have to support my family.
me: Do they know what you do?
her: No. I tell them I work as a bar waitress...

Fourth Girl
me: What have you done before you came here?
her: I worked in a Mall. But I can make much more money here. I'm not going to do this forever. I want to study afterwards.
me: Your family doesn't pay for your studies?
her: No, I have to support my family financially. And I support my big sister, too.
me: Do they know that you work here?
her: No... You think I should tell them?
me: What does your family do?
her: My father used to be a painter, but now I gave them money so they can have a small business.
me: What kind of business?
her: They sell sandals on the market.
me: And how is it working out?
her: I don't know... I hope OK... I gave them 40'000 Pesos (note: equals two full months of work) for it. If it doesn't work out I cannot give them any more. I already gave them 20'000 earlier, but my father gambled it on a cockfight and lost it all.
me: Maybe you should call them and check with them monthly on how the business is doing...

No comments: