Saturday, September 15, 2007

A Really Bad Day(tm)

On one of the first days here we were warned about life in China that initial euphorism would soon evaporate and that our mood would reach an all-time low after two to three months before recovering back to normal.

This alone not being enough, one of the long-time expats at our school said, that even after having lived years in China, he would still feel like killing everybody around him once every few months.

Now guess what, yesterday I found out why: I went to Carrefour to buy a clothes drying rack. Lucky me, it was on sale for only RMB 159 instead of 249! Unfortunately at the cash register, I realized that they had charged me the full price, i.e. 90 RMB too much. As a responsible customer, I complained and asked for the situation to be rectified.

Well, to make a long story short: It took roughly 6 people and 1.5 hours of waiting time to refund me the 90 RMB (15 CHF).

This not enough, some time earlier at the bank: In order to change CHF (which were already sitting on my bank account) to RMB (which would continue to sit on my bank account) it took me 1.25 hours of waiting in line at the local branch.

No wonder I had almost killed the guy at the campus cafeteria when he figured I'd have to wait for 30 minuts until the kitchen would be able to prepare my food...

1 comment:

ursula said...

hello you!
after one bottle of "your" masi campofiorin - mousie and i are very much in mood the to go out, but unfortuntately it´s bloody monday :-))
*singing* monday, monday..

shanghai matt, enjoy your time and take care of sissilein in the next couple of weeks, sabine