Friday, April 25, 2008

Strategy Project woes

There it went, my study week.

I still can't believe that I actually spent an entire week on the strategy project!

The story: For Strategic Management, rather than taking an exam, we had to hand in a 20 page strategic assessment paper. Because I didn't want to spend mindless effort on an assignment-only paper on any random company, I decided to have a closer look at my own business, or - more correctly - the business I co-own to 30 percent.

Now one would think that doing a strategic analysis and coming up with some recommendations would be quick and easy fix for a business one knows that well. Nothing could be further from the truth, however. I guess knowing too much detail sometimes only complicates matters...

But the really hard part was the writing. While I had a fairly clear picture early on, it turns out that writing down the stuff in a logical, easy to read fashion for someone who's not an insider (i.e. the professor) can be a really hard thing to do.

So that's how I ended up wasting my entire study week on writing the paper. Granted, I didn't work as hard as I could have and a tiny little bit of procrastination might have played its role as well ;-) But the net result is, the study week is almost over and I haven't spent a single minute on studying the subjects I will be tested on next Monday...

The paper looks quite cool, though!

No comments: