Saturday, March 1, 2008

diànnǎo yīyuàn

Careful analysis had finally revealed that it wasn't the memory that was faulty, but the connector that the memory was plugged into.

So today I went to the diànnǎo yīyuàn, the "computer hospital", which is about an hour away at the other side of town. After some unsuccessful trials I finally found myself talking to a yellow-shirted guy who spoke about three standard deviations (99.7%) Chinese and 0.03% English. "Memory hen hao, kashe zhege donxi bu hao", etc, etc.

After a few interactions I finally decided that this was leading nowhere and I called a Chinese classmate for remote translation assistance. What then followed was the ususal humiliation by an IT service desk that doesn't distinguish between computer professionals and stupid users.

NO, it's NOT a VIRUS, it's the CONNECTOR that's faulty. What do you mean, how can I know? It also hangs in the boot menu. NO, the MEMORY is FINE! I swapped it with another laptop and it works perfectly there, I SAID IT'S THE CONNECTOR! NO it's NOT the wrong type of memory, it has been working fine for more than a year! IT'S THE CONNECTOR! YES, I know that viruses cause sudden crashes, but THIS IS NOT A VIRUS, goddammit!

The whole thing then culminated in the guy trying to pull out the memory of my laptop while still in sleep mode (i.e. the memory fully powered on). Reluctantly I finally left my treasured device at the place for further analysis, sincerely hoping that the actual engineers would know what they were doing as much as the front office guy didn't.

No comments: